Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reviewing the GAME Plan

In order to be successful with my GAME plan that was previously discussed, a bit of reflection is needed. First of all, what do I need to get my plan started? The single most important resource I need to take the necessary steps to put the GAME plan into action is time. Not only do I need time to think and plan, but I need time to collaborate with my cooperative teacher in order to determine what problem based activities will help achieve our standard based goals, while engaging all students. In addition, I need to take note of all technological assistance software available at my school, as well as the options provided in the computer lab.

The most important additional information I need can be provided by my students. Prior to forming collaborative learning and action groups, I need to be aware of the learning styles of the students, as well as their technological skills. This information can easily be updated through a simple survey to be completed by each student. Once this is collected, I will then be equipped to determine what students to team together in order to form a complementary group. At this point, the steps are rather simple and only require additional planning time and information from my students. As I become more aware of the technological assistance software that may be available at my school, I look forward to being able to meet the needs of my students through diversified means.

4 comments:

  1. You have surely stated it. Time and planning are major factors in anything we do. As Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) stated, "Students will come to your classroom with different experiences, perhaps knowing different languages, having diverse cultural backgrounds, and having varied levels of access to modern technologies" (p. 109). It takes a lot of resources to meet the unique needs of all these students. Setting your GAME plan in action, collaborating with your peers and assessing your students is a great way to start. The data you gather from accessing them will provide the feedback needed to adjust your instruction (p. 111).
    Good Luck
    Linda Stubbs

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    Thank you for your comment. Certainly time is the most critical aspect when designing anything for the classroom. Hopefully, the backwards design will accomodate the needs of all of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very difficult as a teacher to take on new things because it feels as though we are already spread so thin from the various expectations, tasks, and needs that are brought to us daily.

    One suggestion I have that might be helpful is to seek out professional development opportunities that surround technology assistance software or special needs learners and technology and bringing it to the attention of your administration. It would bring the need for that sort of knowledge to attention and I am sure that the need for all teachers to have that sort of training is great.

    Time, collaboration, and assessment are pivotal in molding any new idea into a masterpiece in the area of education and from what I see you have your priorities for your GAME plan set.

    Lacey Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are making a wise choice by exploring what the district has in terms of software. I get sent to the Ohio E-tech conference every year and see things I would love to try and then I get "home" and realize we don't have the resources.

    ReplyDelete